Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The "R" word


It is time to “Spread the Word to End the Word” and on 31 March 2009 Special Olympics is calling for a national day of awareness for America to stop and think about their use of the R-word. That R-word is not “recession,” but something more hurtful and painful – “retard.”

Most people don’t think of this word as hate speech, but that’s exactly what it feels like to millions of people with intellectual disabilities, their families and friends. This word is just as cruel and offensive as any other slur.

Spread the Word to End the Word will raise the consciousness of society about the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the R-word and encourage people to pledge to stop using it. America will be asked to declare their support for more respectful and inclusive language, specifically that referring to those with intellectual disabilities.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

love it. I've always cringed when I hear that and discourage it's incorrect use.

Nate and Lana Hope said...

What a great post, hope you don't mind, but I'm going to post it too! I just got back from BYUI last night where I was a guest speaker for Down Syndrome and I went on and on about the r word! Hopefully more and more people become aware of the proper definition and we can get that word out of our vocabulary soon!

Mandi said...

I couldn't agree more. I have a cousin with Down Syndrome and this is an issue that definitely hits close to home with me and my family. It is definitely worth spreading the word about this!